Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Too Short for Fireworks....


Having been scarred by the 4th of July in my long ago youth, I have since always watched the explosive display from the comfort of my own couch, away from the pushing crowds, the defining noise, the smell of burning things and the unavoidable blocked view. But this year for the first time since forever I had plans for the live version of Independence Day.

My aunt who recently moved to lovely Cliffside NJ, has a view of UWS of Manhattan as well as the empire state building. 
Since they moved the fireworks display back to the Huston river, she thought her terrace might afford us a possible view of the festivities and she decided to have the family over for a 4th of July party at her new digs. Unfortunately due to scheduling conflicts and closed roads in the area, most of the gang couldn't make it, except for me and my Mom.
I was in no shape to party thanks to my once a month "happy time", so besides being doubled over in pain I had to restrain myself from stabbing annoying people in the eye sockets. Yet, even in this dangerous condition I had a good time. My aunt and her soon to be new hubby are fantastic hosts and there was never an end to tasty goodies that were being cooked, grilled, shucked, and served to the detriment of my poor diet.

When the time finally came to watch the show, it turned out that it was further downtown then we had anticipated and a big building stood in our way of the rainbow lighted skyline. Luckily, the complex she lives in has their pool right on top of a out cropping cliff face so we all put on our shoes and headed over to see if there was a better view from there. As we left the apartment, we realized we weren't the only ones. We were a part of a mass exodus of people who had all been fingered by the same building obstruction. People leaving there apartments in pajamas, most shoeless, with wine glasses or drinks, and one couple actually brought their dinner plates with them, all of us trying to get to the pool first for a good view.
When we arrived, to the joy of all who ventured out, we were able to see one set of the beautiful display out in the distance. It was beautiful and quite impressive how the technology of the firework has progressed over the years, but I only enjoyed it for a moment because more and more people began to show up. Over and over again, my view was blocked by new heads, until I realized I was surrounded by people and I was seeing a lot of nothing. Once again, I was in a crowd of people towering over me, being pushed and stepped on, and getting nothing out of it but a close view of some guys back hair. So being a responsible citizen because I already wasn't in a good mental place, I gave my mother a kiss on the cheek, and headed back to an empty apartment to watch the final big explosive end on TV.

I was disappointed, but being short is my lot in life. Nobody cares that you can't see or that your even standing there. If your not within a certain perimeter of there eye sight its as if you don't exist. I can't even imagine how it feels to be a dwarf. 
Maybe that's where the legends of angry leprechauns came from. A bunch of fed up little Irish people who had enough of being stepped on, decided to get proactive and fuck with the tallies. 
I can totally dig that...lol


(Photo by dwill77 and Photobucket. Directly linked)

1 comment: