Monday, April 19, 2010

Leashes For Your Tot: The Hottest Parenting Accessory for the Fashion Forward...

Now I know this isn't a new phenomenon.
I saw my first child leash about 10 years ago, but they were fairly new and hardly seen outside of a backwater mall, but now things have changed.
Yesterday alone I saw 2 different upper/middle class Manhattanites "walking" there kids, and I have this funny feeling, as the weather gets warmer, I'll be seeing more of this.

When did this become a necessary tool in parenting??

I mean...I know as a society we have become isolated, antisocial, germaphobes, but has it really come down to not wanting to touch our own children anymore!

The original leash was called "A Hand".
Very simple tool to use, they come in pairs, and they're free of charge.

Slowly the art of parenting (and it is an art) is dieing away. Nobody wants to do the work required.
It started with parents using television to babysit their children when they wanted alone time. Then family dinners when out the window. Discipline took a nose dive, and now the only communication most parents have with their children is through a text message.
Then people wonder why blow jobs, STD's, and pregnancy are becoming more common in grade school.
Hell... there's even a popular teen drama on television about a pregnant 16 year old!!

But I digress...lol...
let me get back to my point...

Is it really necessary to leash your children?

I mean...are we so busy that we can't keep an eye on our kids?
Are our hands too busy with that blackberry or iPad to keep them in hand?
or is it a matter of simple discipline....
Maybe we are finally seeing the consequences of replacing punishments with "Time Outs" and sending our children to there rooms where they have every possible convenience to pass the time.

When my mother told me to stay close, I stayed close cause I knew the consequences of doing otherwise. I was never allowed to run rampant or throw temper tantrums because it just wasn't allowed. Even my 80 year old grandma kept me in her kung-fu grip anytime we went out, and trust me, she was a little old lady, but not even the jaws of life could remove her hand from mine.

Children can be taught to not to run off into traffic if you take the time to actually talk and teach them.
Children are trainable....

Where has that gone?

People are so worried about what other people think. Over analyzing every single thing we do, we've reduced our children to dogs...

No comments:

Post a Comment